If you are new to making meat and fish recipes then you must know how to cook Kielbasa as this dish is famous all over the world. In fact, it is one of the most popular dishes in Poland. It is a pork sausage that is cut and used in the food to enhance the taste and smell.
The base ingredient for preparing this dish is pork meat. So, you have to be careful while cutting the meat. However, you can use a sharp knife to make the cut easier. The next thing to do is to add the seasoning and herbs for the sausage made up. In short, here are the different ways of preparing kielbasa in which you will learn how to cook it.
HOW TO COOK SMOKED KIELBASA?
Don’t boil pre-cooked or smoked sausages, they aren’t raw after all. Boiling kills the flavors. Go for one of these methods:
1FRY ON THE STOVE
- Cut kielbasa in half lengthwise or rounds crosswise.
- Heat a spoonful of canola oil.
- Add kielbasa to the frying pan/skillet.
- Fry until golden.
2COOK ON THE GRILL / BARBEQUE
Kielbasa is often cross-cut before grilling to prevent it from splitting.
- Fire up the grill.
- Place kielbasa on the grill for 5 minutes.
- Flip over and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Rest before slicing.
3ROAST IN THE OVEN
Perfect method for winter months, or when you’re simply not up for firing up your grill.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C (top and bottom heating on)
- Grease the baking dish lightly, place kielbasa inside.
- Bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes, turning every 5 minutes.
- Let kielbasa rest a few minutes before serving.
HOW TO COOK FRESH KIELBASA?
BOIL IN WATER
- Fill a large pot with water. Salt the water – otherwise, the sausage will give away its flavor to the water.
- Place kiełbasa in the pot. Bring to boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat and gently simmer for 25-30 minutes – with the lid uncovered.
- Serve immediately or add more crispiness by grilling or roasting (instructions above)
Tip: Are you cooking biała kiełbasa (raw white sausage) for Easter? It’s worth pumping up the flavor by adding a few allspice berries, bay leaves, dry marjoram, and a garlic clove to the water.
You can treat Turkey Kielbasa just like any other. Tastes best when fried, roasted, and grilled.
Regular Kielbasa sold in stores is usually precooked and doesn’t need much cooking at all. Just fry/grill/roast until golden.